Pages

3.27.2011

hungry?

I am trying to branch out and try new recipes.  Mostly from friends - I find those usually turn out better than if I pick one randomly. :)  So here's one light and one indulgent recipe for you to try!  The hardest part for me is remembering to take a picture of it before its all eaten!  I had to borrow one of the banana bread... Enjoy!


LIGHT: Chinese Coleslaw (from my friend Ellen)


so easy and yummy!

1 bag of shredded cabbage
2 bags beef ramen noodles (uncooked & broken apart)
1 bunch green onions
1 small bag salted sunflower seeds
1 small bag sliced almonds
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. water
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
2 packets beef seasoning (from the ramen)

Mix all dry ingredients - reserving seasoning packets.  I also added about 1/2 bag of shredded carrots. Then mix last 5 ingredients listed and pour over first mixture.



 INDULGENT: Banana bread (or muffins) from the FoodNetwork.com

also good with a little honey :)

1 cup granulated sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
3 ripe bananas
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
 * I also added 1 tsp vanilla and 1/4 c chopped walnuts


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.

Cream the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Mix in the milk and cinnamon. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Add the banana mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until combined. Add dry ingredients, mixing just until flour disappears.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

2 comments:

Preben and Ellen said...

yummmmm!

chinese coleslaw is one of our family favs!!

perfect for a summer night of grilling out !

:)

i'll have to try the banana bread! :)

David / Lisa Domine said...

Hey! I make almost that same exact salad recipe, but I cut up a rotisserie chicken from the store, add it in, and make it the main course. And just add some bread or something. :)