Pages

4.13.2011

cooking with spinach

I had some fresh spinach that I needed to use, so I thought I'd share two recipes that I tried.

Spinach & Egg Casserole 
from allrecipes.com (but I changed it a little)


Ingredients
  •  8 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup onion, chopped (optional)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (I used fresh spinach)
  • 1 (16 ounce) package small curd cottage cheese ( I used low-fat)
  • 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • a few dashes of Paprika and Basil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl with the onion and flour until the flour is no longer lumpy. Stir in the spinach, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, butter, salt, and pepper and other spices until evenly combined; pour into the prepared dish.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the casserole is bubbly and the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes. 



Cheap & Easy Pasta Salad
as named by my friend Amanda :) 
the recipe is also from her, I just added measurements for people like me that need them. 

  1.  Cook and drain 1 box of pasta (I used elbow, but you could use penne or whatever you like.
  2.  Stir in 1-2 bunches of fresh spinach, 2-3 minced cloves of garlic and cook over low heat until spinach starts to wilt.
  3. Add 1 container of cherry or grape tomatoes (halved),  1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, and
    1/4 cup ceasar dressing. (you might need more dressing depending on what dressing you choose)
  4. Stir and serve!
 
 

1 comment:

amanda said...

cheap and easy... what other way is there? ;-) looks great!